Saturday, March 1, 2014

How on earth are we "used" to this after only a week??

For her make-up shopping today, we decided to walk since the sun was shining and it was "a nice day".  Still can't believe those words came out of both of our mouths!  As we were walking, I checked Weather Bug and it was 17 but felt like 10.  We both kept going on and on about what a beautiful day it was and how glad we were that we walked.  We did get to see some great parts of the city that went by too fast in cabs and vans.  We felt totally safe as we are in a fairly nice area and the place we were walking to was a VERY nice area (Lincoln Park for anyone familiar with Chicago).  Sylvia, the Kryolan store was right next door to a Barbour store - can't thank you enough for loaning me your Barbour jackets!  Don't think I would have survived...or I've at least survived with a more pleasant attitude about cold. LOL!!  Honestly though, thinking about it...it's so true what everyone says in that you do learn to dress for the weather.  We have gotten so much better about layering and just dealing with the extra clothing once you are in a place and need to shed layers.  Still a pain in the ass and far prefer flip-flops but am understanding better how folks survive in this weather...never understood how anyone could stand it before.

It was strange since we were actually glad that we got thrown into to "fire" right away with those brutal temps because it's made the rest of the trip so much nicer.  Glad we got in when we did this evening though since the snow is coming down pretty heavy now but for the first time since we've been here, the temp and "Feels Like" are the same since there isn't any wind which is so rare. :-)


Tomorrow is the The Field Museum and the Aquarium then an early bedtime as our pick-up time is 6:30 am on Monday.  On our next trip up, I HAVE to go to the Art Institute of Chicago for the Thorne Miniature Rooms.  Of course I love art museums no matter what but I'm dying to see these.  History, art, doll houses, interior design and period pieces all in the same room...think I might explode! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment